Friday, February 10, 2012

Yes, I'm a "worrier"...

As my husband likes to point out to me, I am a "worrier"... My therapist once told me that I was a "What If" girl... my doctor says I "let things get to me"....  I know this is a constant problem for me.  Instead of being positive about things, I'm always afraid of the worse that could happen.  I have been trying to work on this, but it's a lot harder than one would think.  Maybe it's just programmed into my nature to constantly worry about thing.  When something bad happens, I think, "what's going to happen next" and not in a good way.  The saying "when it rains, it pours" to me should be "when it rains, it floods!"...  it's like things never seem to get better.  

But today, as I was reading my Reader's Digest... I came across this quote:

"If you fixate on the worst-case scenario, and it actually happens, you've lived it twice"
~Michael J. Fox~

Boy did this hit home for me...  And I realized... WOW, he's right!  Not only do I worry or "what-if" the situation to the point that it drives me nuts, but "what-if" the situation never happens, then I've went through all that worrying for nothing.  And if it DOES happen, then I'm putting myself through that situation twice.  What a slap in the face.  

Now I'm going to start trying to re-think my attitude towards the "what-if" scenarios...  because if going through something once isn't bad enough already, then why make myself go through it twice by worrying about it too soon.  

Just a thought for the day.

2 comments: